Here is your technical support page. Please use the page to
- Post any problems you are having – please post them as comments to this page and Jesse and I will respond. Please make sure you also provide, if relevant:
- The type of device you are using
- The operating system (Windows, iOS etc)
- How you are accessing Shedcasts, and the name of the podcatcher if you are using one
- View FAQs to solve the problem yourself
- Access links to other support available
At any time you can email me at email@example.com
Frequently asked questions
1. My feed has stopped updating – I haven’t had any member episodes for ages
- First thing to check is that it’s not a password problem; so it’s worth going to the website and trying to log in here https://thehistoryofengland.co.uk/login. If you can’t login, then use the Lost Password process. You’ll then need to go back to your podcatcher and try to update; either you will be prompted, or you may have the delete the feed and start again.
- It might be the cache on your mobile device causing the problem. Try first to delete the cache by turning off and closing down the device completely, and then start it up again, open the app and see if the feed starts going again
- If neither of these work, then delete the feed complete from your podcatcher, turn off your phone as above, and then set up the feed from scratch.
- Make sure you use exactly the right feed address, letter for letter – https://thehistoryofengland.co.uk/feed/podcast/members
- Please note it’s important t type the URL rather than searching for the name of the Shedcasts
2. The feed address for the members’ shedcast feed doesn’t see to work
First thing to do is make asbsolutely sure you have the address correct – no added ‘s’ or ‘.’ and so on.
But then Leigh Ann was struggling and found an article about WordPress sites (as is The History of England), and it advised that adding /feed to the end of the feed address would help. She took the advice – and it worked! So, that would mean
Please follow this link to the mobile app support page. Also has advice on some troubleshooting.
4. I can’t see the earlier History of England episodes
The shedcast feed to my mobile device has stopped working. What do I do? (Members)
- Check the URL you are using. It should be https://thehistoryofengland.co.uk/feed/podcast/members
You do NOT need the ‘www.’ bit. Usually it’s not a problem if you do use www, and it will redirect fine, but on some occasions with some podcatchers it seems to cause a problem.
- Sometimes for unaccountable reasons podcatchers periodically seem to ask you to re-enter your credentials – username and password.
- If your username and password seem to stop working, delete the feed in your podcatcher completely and start again.
- If your username and password STILL doesn’t work, then go to the website login page https://thehistoryofengland.co.uk/login/ and select the lost password process. Then return to your podcatcher and try again.
I have tried the lost password process and it doesn’t work for me. I either don’t get an email after I have entered my details, or a weird message saying my reset link is invalid (Members)
Go back and try one more time. This time, at the log in page, try this:
- press Function F5 (on some machines this is CNTRL+F5 at the same time) before trying to log in to try and clear any caching.
- Try the process with your email first, and if that doesn’t work, then try it again with your username.
- Check your spam in email if you don’t see the password reset email
If neither of these work then you may have forgotten the email you used to sign up with or your username. So, email me on firstname.lastname@example.org, and I will send these to you.
Finally, if all this fails email me again and I will send you a new password. But it’s better for you to manage your own if possible then you can change it at will.
I want to turn off automatic payment for my annual Paypal membership
If you want to cancel your membership and payments, or update the card details please log in, and then go to the billing page in the Members’ section.
As stated on the Checkout page, renewal payments are made automatically each year or month – maybe you simply want to do it manually yourself, for example. If you don’t want this to happen, I understand that if you have paid through a card it is relatively easy to access your bank online and cancel future direct debits or standing orders.
You can do the same thing on Paypal. Where the function is depends a little on the account type you have, but if you find Account Setting (normally top right on the Paypal website under your name or a cog symbol), and then chose ‘Manage Payments (or ‘Money banks and Cards’) you should then be able to choose ‘Manage Automatic’ payments and make changes.
I want to update my credit card details
You can do this through the members area in the Billing Option. I have noticed Stripe’s website (the company that deals with credit card has become a little buggy – continuing to try and charge the old card on occasion. So if you have problems email me and I will deal with it for you.
Other useful links (Members)
There is advice on downloading members only shedcasts here: How to download shedcasts
There is a podcast and Shedcast schedule here so you can check what should be appearing in your podcatcher.
You can also see a list of the members’ shedcasts in the member’s area